Race Retro Classic Car Sale 2012

Back to lot listing

1932 MG F1 Magna

Lot No.: 144

Registration: GX 5913
Chassis Number: F-1013
Engine Number: 1180AF
Number of cylinders: 6
CC: 1271
Year of Manufacture: 1932
Estimate (£): 40,000 - 45,000
Sold for (£): 38,610

The MG F-type Magna was a six cylinder engine car produced by the MG Car Company from October 1931 to 1932. Looking for a car to fill the gap between the M-Type Midget and the 18/80, MG turned to another of the engines that had become available from William Morris's acquisition of Wolseley. This was the 1271cc 6- cylinder version of the overhead camshaft engine used in the 1929 MG M type Midget and previously seen in the 1930 Wolseley Hornet and had dummy side covers to disguise it's origins. Fitted with 1" twin SU carburettors it produced 37.2bhp at 4100rpm at first, later increased to 47bhp by revising the valve timing. Drive was to the rear wheels through a four speed non-synchromesh gearbox. The chassis was a 10-inch longer version of the one from the MG D-type with suspension by half elliptic springs and Hartford friction shock absorbers all round with rigid front and rear axles. With it's sloping radiator and long bonnet the F-Type is an attractive car capable of reaching 70 mph.

Introduced in 1931, the F1 was offered in open 2-seater or 4-seater configuration. It also got much needed enhanced braking by fitting larger 12 inch drums all round. Only 258 examples of the 4-seater F1 Magna were supplied in chassis form to outside coachbuilders such as Abbey, Jarvis, Stiles and Windover. According to the MG car club, it is believed that only half of this figure have survived. 

This beautiful F1 Magna was taken off the road in approximately 1955, where it remained until purchased by the current owner in 1979. A well respected name in MG circles, the owner bought the car following a payment from Pinewood Studios for his stunt driving during the film 'Death on the Nile', in an MG J2. He spent the next 10 years embarking on a labour-intensive restoration that saw the car rebuilt from the ground up. There are some pictures of the car in various states of condition over the last thirty years in the history file.

Chassis number F - 1013 was completed in 1989 and has been used for touring in Wales, France and around the Home Counties. The black bodywork is still in superb condition along with the turquoise leather interior. A new wiring loom has been fitted, along with a new oil filter and the car has been maintained religiously by it's MG specialist owner.