Autosport International Sale 2019

Back to lot listing

1935 Mercedes-Benz (W18) Type 290 2-door Cabriolet 'B'

Lot No.: 353

Registration: CMC 693
Chassis Number: 116 944
Engine Number: 116 944
Number of cylinders: 6
CC: 2867
Year of Manufacture: 1935
RHD/LHD: Right Hand Drive
Sold for (£): 121,500
  • Elegant pre-war two-door Cabriolet in right-hand drive 
  • 2867cc side-valve, inline six-cylinder engine developing 67bhp
  • Believed to be a 'Long Chassis' model with a 3,300 mm (130 in) wheelbase 
  • Fully restored over circa 20 years in the 1990s and magazine-featured, with little use since
  • Owned by our vendor since 1998 and now offered at a tempting guide price 

The Mercedes-Benz W18 entered production in 1933 as a replacement for the type 350/370 Mannheim series.  These cars, more commonly referred to as the Type 290, brought with them several advanced engineering features such as hydraulic brakes, a transverse leaf-spring/coil spring front suspension, a coil-sprung floating rear axle, and a 60 bhp side-valve, six-cylinder engine.  Body styles included a four-door touring car, a four-door saloon and four types of two-door convertibles or cabriolets (A, B, C and D) with seating for three or four.  In 1934, a long-wheelbase version of the 290 was introduced, with factory-bodied offerings that included a six-seat touring car, a four-door saloon, four cabriolets (A, B, D and the F Pullman), a Pullman limousine, a streamlined saloon, a roadster or, if preferred, the customer could order a bare chassis.  Long chassis cars came with different transmission ratios whereby the 1:1 ratio matched fourth gear and there was no overdrive.  The final drive ratio was also raised for the longer cars.  

The car presented here is a 1935 Mercedes-Benz (W18) Type 290 2-door Cabriolet 'B', and is particularly rare in right-hand drive.  Based on its styling/proportions and the absence of an overdrive, it is believed to be the more desirable 'Long Chassis' model with a 3,300 mm (130 in) wheelbase but this will require clarification.  The history of the car is believed to include some time spent in Persia and County Antrim, before being restored over a 20-year period by Mr John Parsons of Lulworth Cove in Dorset.  In September/October 1998, soon after the restoration concluded, the car was featured in The Mercedes-Benz Club 'Gazette' (see photos of this attached) before being bought by our vendor later that year.  He has used the car infrequently but has always stored and maintained it well. 

CMC 693 is finished in a very Deep Blue and the coachwork and paint finish remain excellent. The chromework too remains in lovely condition and it's obvious that the restoration focused on quality. The interior is a delight with superbly restored seating in Cream leather, deep pink carpets edged in cream, correctly restored/original controls/switches/handles etc, and the figured hardwood dashboard with original cream-faced VDO instruments is a work of art. The folding top in a Light Tan material is uncreased and the mechanism appears fully functional. All in all, this appears to have been a thorough and sympathetic restoration and the Mercedes has obviously been lightly used since. In the photographs, the mud on the tyres slightly spoils the car's appearance but look beyond that and you will see one of the smartest, mid-thirties, Mercedes Cabriolets that you could hope to find.

Due to advancing years, our vendor has now reluctantly decided to part with this elegant tourer so that it can be driven and enjoyed as it should be. The car may require some basic servicing or light recommissioning, as it has only been run-up and driven rarely in recent times.  This special car is now offered for sale at a very tempting guide price, and is not to be missed.