Silverstone Classic Sale 2018

Back to lot listing

1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT Series IV

Lot No.: 809

Registration: KUW 4D
Chassis Number: B203411
Engine Number: B204110
Number of cylinders: 6
CC: 2458
Year of Manufacture: 1954
RHD/LHD: Right Hand Drive
Sold for (£): 90,833
  • A fabulous example of the accomplished Series 4
  • An original UK-supplied car in right-hand drive
  • Superbly restored in the late nineties
  • Recent expenditure of over £7,000 with marque specialist Omnicron
  • New carpets. New Nardi wood rim. All in all-Wonderful
  •  

    Designed in 1949 by Vittorio Jano, and unveiled in 1950 to a nation slowly recovering from a World War, the Lancia Aurelia was very simply, revolutionary. The car combined luxury, performance, looks and charisma, and offered a dream to a nation just finding their way. It bristled with innovation - the first V6 production engine, transaxle, inboard rear brakes, monocoque construction and a very efficient slippery shape.

    In a country in love with motorsport, it's no surprise that the Aurelia was immediately seized upon by wealthy Italian privateers, and achieved almost instant success in competition throughout Europe starting with a second place in the 1951 Mille Miglia in virtually standard form. The model went on to be developed over almost eight years through six distinct 'Series' and they were bought by wealthy discreet Italians and those in the know throughout Europe. The 4th.Series, offered from 1954, differed from earlier cars mainly in the introduction of de Dion tube rear suspension, further improving an already great handling car. Those cars that reached the UK were much sought-after, despite costing more than a new Bentley at the time, and one of their most high-profile exponents was motor racing enthusiast Lord March (the Duke of Richmond) who noted that the Aurelia was "Definitely one of my favourite cars of all time", quite poignant considering our photographs were taken at his beloved Goodwood Motor Circuit.

    Our little Lancia offered here, is indeed a right-hand drive Series 4 GT250 B20 with the later suspension and a 2.5-litre, V6 producing 118hp. It's one of 573 built during 1954 and its first registered owner was Douglas Abercrombie from Essex who was followed by four more UK owners. Carefully restored in the late '90s, every aspect of this vehicle still looks spot-on. Delightfully finished in Baby Blue (officially Azzuro Agnano-Celeste Aurelia) with white wheels and superb brightwork, the interior is painted, with Oatmeal upholstery piped in Tan. Immaculate black rubber floormats, new over-carpets and a Nardi wood rim steering wheel complete the very 50's cabin. After recent expenditure of over £7,000 with marque specialist Omnicron, the Aurelia is on the button and ready to enjoy.

    It is difficult to look at this fabulous '54 Lancia without wanting to take it home. All in all. Wonderful.