International Trophy Sale 2013

Back to lot listing

1959 MG A FIA Race Car

Lot No.: 331

Registration: Unregistered
Chassis Number: YD3/1257
Engine Number: 48G159/RS16427
Number of cylinders: 4
CC: 1588cc
Year of Manufacture: 1959
Sold for (£): Unsold

The MGA was produced from 1955 to 1962. It replaced the older "T-type" cars and represented a complete styling break from the older vehicles. The 'A' was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955. Only 1,788 Twincam Roadsters were built. 

The MGA's bodywork was based largely on that of a one-off MG TD specially built by the MG factory at the request of racing privateer George Phillips for the 1952 24 Hours of Le Mans. Later, a new chassis was designed so as to seat the driver lower in the car with even cleaner bodywork resulting in the EX 175 prototype. The later MG prototype EX 182 was very close to the final production MGA and was raced at Le Mans in 1955. Three MGA prototypes were entered at Le Mans in 1955. Two of the cars finished the race placing 12th and 17th overall, proving the worth of the new car. The MGA has been raced extensively in since its 1955 introduction and with considerable success both in period and in today's historic race series.

 

This 1959 MGA originally left the factory as a genuine Twincam car in left hand drive specification destined for Germany. It remained in its original specification until the early 1970's when it was purchased by one of the founding members of the German MG Car club and prepared for motor racing. The original MG A twincam engine was replaced for a more reliable 1600cc push rod engine and was converted to right hand drive as most of the circuits are driven clockwise.

The car has been extensively raced across Europe at all the major circuits such as Nurburgring and Spa. It even formed part of a three car historic MGA team called MG Corner Kelkheim in the 1980s, it was after this period the car was then sold and rebuilt in the mid-late 1990s, repainted in its current ash green and continued to race mostly in mainland Europe.

Through the years the car has always been well prepared and is fitted with a rare works aluminum hardtop, a custom full roll cage, fuel cell and a race seat with race harnesses. Throughout its racing life it has always been run with Twincam wheels, (as can be seen in the period images) because of this the car is fitted with the stronger pegdrive Twincam hubs. We are told that the car and engine was refreshed some 4 years ago and has remained largely dormant since and as such is ready to be used in anger once more.

Presented with current and more desirable Period E, FIA papers this car is eligible to race in huge amount of race series both in the UK and Europe including Carol Spaggs Pre-63'GT series and Masters events. This is a great opportunity to purchase a well-prepared car that has a superb history.