The Salon Privé Sale 2016

Back to lot listing

1961 Jaguar Mark 10 3.8 litre - Ex Sir William Lyons

Lot No.: 233

Registration: 7868 RW
Chassis Number: 300044 BW
Engine Number: ZA 1065-8
Number of cylinders: 6
CC: 3,781
Year of Manufacture: 1961
Sold for (£): Unsold

Sir William Lyons, popularly known as 'Mr. Jaguar', founded the Swallow Sidecar Company in 1922 in partnership with William Walmsley. The Swallow Sidecar Company became Jaguar Cars Ltd after the second world war ended and went on to outstanding success as a prestige British manufacturer of executive saloons and sports cars across the World.

The Jaguar Mark X (ten) was the top of the range saloon from 1961 until 1970 and was originally designed with the US market in mind as well the inevitable demand from the home counties.

The car was a 'unitary construction' bodyshell which was codenamed "Zenith" during development and this, state of the art, floor pan continued in production long after the Mark Ten was superseded. The new look of four headlamps above distinctive chrome bumpers and a vaned grill was to remain a styling cue for Jaguar for many years and is inherent in their design even today. The interior featured acres of polished woodwork all over the dashboard as well as rear wooden picnic tables and a front, pull-out, picnic table stowed under the dashboard.

This particular car was one of the very first "Zenith" cars produced in December 1961 specifically for Sir William Lyons to use as his daily driver. It was finished to his own personal specification and differed from production cars in a number of small ways including having electric windows in the rear (in addition to the front) and individual 'vanity mirrors' for himself and Lady Lyons. The car was delivered to him in January 1962 and was to be his personal transport for the next three years being used on all his official Jaguar public functions including visits to his beloved Jaguar Racing Team providing moral support at important meetings. 

Today, this dynamic Jaguar is finished in its original colour of Opalescent Dark Green with a Beige leather interior and still bears its original Coventry number plate - 7868 RW. It is fresh from a professional comprehensive two-year restoration to near Concours standard carried out by renowned Jaguar specialists "covering a full restoration of body, paint, chrome, trim - wood and leather, as well as a full engine and mechanical engineering overhaul". It presents and drives beautifully today, just as it did for Sir William in period. The freshly rebuilt 3.8 engine starts and runs as it should and the car still has the three qualities of " Grace, Space and Pace" that epitomised Jaguar saloons in the 1960s.

The Jaguar is now in possession of a fresh MOT, valid until July 2017, with no advisories.

This is a unique opportunity to own an important piece of Jaguar history and not to be missed. It has been photographed by our in-house photographer, Jonny Shears, outside of what was Sir William's house - Wappenbury Hall - where car and home have finally been reunited once more.

 N.B  Sincere thanks to Wappenbury Hall's current owner for his permission, kindness, and courtesy.