Race Retro Classic Car Sale 2019

Back to lot listing

1971 Morris Mini Cooper S Mk.III

Lot No.: 304

Registration: PHK 666K
Chassis Number: XA51395231A
Engine Number: 1323
Number of cylinders: 4
CC: 1275
Year of Manufacture: 1971
RHD/LHD: Right Hand Drive
Sold for (£): 22,500
  • One of just over 1,500 Cooper S Mk.lll models produced
  • Finished in Teal Blue with a Snowberry White roof and bespoke black interior
  • Refurbished in the early 2000s and now showing just 76,000 miles on the odometer
  • Supplied with a UK V5c and its original owner's manual

 

The first Mini Cooper was launched in July 1961 and is still revered today as the second most important car in history after the Ford Model T. It had been developed by the designer of the original Mini, Sir Alec Issigonis, with racing driver and engineer, John Cooper who in 1959 had driven a prototype Mini to the Italian Grand Prix and had been greatly impressed by the car. It was initially produced with a 997cc version of the BMC A series engine and fitted with twin SU carburettors, a revised cylinder head and an improved exhaust system. The car was also fitted with a close ratio gearbox, a higher axle ratio than the standard Mini and front disc brakes. These Coopers were easily distinguishable from the standard models by the different front grille, two-tone paintwork, and on the Mk.I, two-tone upholstery. All Coopers were fitted with a 100mph speedometer as opposed to the 90mph units on standard cars. The Mini Cooper and Cooper 'S' were successful as rally cars, famously winning the Monte Carlo Rally four times from 1964 through to 1967, under the stewardship of famous drivers such as the legendary Paddy Hopkirk, Rauno Aaltonen and Timo Mäkinen. The original Mk l was followed by the Mk ll in 1967 which itself was superceded by the Mklll in 1969. 

Offered here is a 1971 Morris Mini Cooper S that was purchased new by Flight Lieutenant Bernard Hughes, an ex-Wellington Bomber Pilot. A company called Wood and Pickett were enjoying success offering bespoke interiors for Minis and Mr Hughes duly employed their services to fit a new black interior with reclining seats. The car was used as Mr Hughes daily driver until 1990 when ill health forced him to store the car, and it wasn’t until 2003 that he reluctantly sold it to his local garage. The car was then the recipient of much refurbishment work which included a replacement bodyshell, new subframes, heater matrix, brakes, new clutch, radiator and wheels and tyres. There are receipts in the file documenting the Minis total rejuvenation at this time. 

Finished in beautiful Teal Blue and having had just two former keepers, this stunning Cooper S Mk.lll has been driven to the Spa Classic and Goodwood Revival in 2017 and is supplied with a V5c and a host of invoices. Rarely do Cooper S Mk.llls come to market, and we are pleased to offer this lovely example.