A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £17,920
Just before WW1 a prototype Morgan four-wheeler with a Dorman 4 cylinder engine was made but never put into production. In 1935 the scheme to make a four-wheeler was revived. Production of the famous 4/4 (meaning four-cylinder, four-wheel) began in 1936 and the engine used was an 1172 cc Coventry Climax engine with overhead inlet and side exhaust valves, producing 38 bhp. The price at the time was £195 and it had a top speed of around 80 mph with a 0 to 60 mph time of 28.4 seconds. Autocar said at the time ‘The car's suspension is admirable on ordinary surfaces, on the firm side over certain types of less good surfaces at low speed, and inclined to be hard over a really severe potholed section.' Evidently, the 4/4 soon gained an excellent reputation for its spirited performance and excellent handling, including notable success on the track. It's pleasing to know that nothing much has changed on the new cars! A total of 912 examples were manufactured between 1936 and 1950. Following recent correspondence with the factory archivist at The Morgan Motor Company, confirms that this car is an original Morgan 4/4 and was despatched to Huxhams Ltd of Bournemouth, who were well known 3 wheeler and then 4 wheel Morgan pre-war competitors, on 26th September 1938. It was originally painted in Morgan Blue and fitted with a Meadows gearbox, aluminium wheels and a Coventry Climax engine. All of the original features have been retained, including the correct, but not the original, climax engine. Buyers should be aware that this lot has formed part of a large private collection and has been stood for some time in a heated environment. Consequently, some remedial works may be required. The engine has not been started for a number of years, however, the car would make an ideal winter project. Supplied with Italian registration documents, the bodywork and interior are presented in good condition and we believe the car was restored in the late 1990s.