A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Estimate: £58,000 - £65,000
+buyer's premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%
Jaguar cars launched the XK140 at the London Motor Show in October 1954 with a raft of improvements over its predecessor- the XK 120. The styling was improved with a revised grill, larger bumpers along with new rear lights which now incorporated the indicators. The handling was enhanced by rack and pinion steering and telescopic dampers. The interior space was improved allowing the addition of occasional rear seats. It was now a real tourer with plenty of power from the 3.4 twin overhead camshaft six cylinder engine, which had powered Jaguar to victory at Le Mans in '51 and '53. A 'Special Equipment' model could be ordered from the factory which came with chrome wire wheels and Lucas fog lights. With the option of the 'C' Type cylinder head, 210 bhp was now available and coupled to the Moss close ratio gearbox, it made the XK140 one of the fastest and most stylish modes of transport available. As only 843 right hand drive cars in total were made, it was very exclusive too. This rare and desirable Jaguar XK 140 'Special Equipment' model is a UK right hand drive car that was first registered '420 AVT' in October 1956 and supplied by Bryant Jaguar. It was to find a certain notoriety when purchased by the Reverend John Fellingham in the 1970's and used for racing by him to great acclaim, particularly as he wore his ‘dog collar' whilst racing! Several pictures in the comprehensive history file prove this. From then on it was known affectionately as 'The Vicar's Car'. He modified it for his racing exploits by converting it to lightweight specification and fitting it with a 'D' Type cylinder head. They were a successful combination, as period results prove, even winning at Silverstone in the 'Thoroughbred' race in 1979. The history file confirms results and shows period shots of 'The Vicar's Car' racing in the TS Championship from 1976 until the early eighties. The next chapter for the car started when the new owner, ex Bentley racer Paul Carter, decided to prepare the car for the 'Carrera Panamericana' in 1999. At a cost then of over £60,000 was spent with renowned XK expert, David Sedge of Maidstone. The history file shows photos of all the preparation work, essential for reliability and the strength required on such a major global endurance event. This included replacing many steel panels with lightweight aluminium. Further engine work took the BHP up to just over 300 requiring a Getrag 5 speed 'box, an integral roll cage, full harnesses, a 'D Type' style alloy filler cap and a competition fire extinguisher to allow for the cars extra performance. Rated as 'the best XK' David had built at the time, it sadly never made the start of the intended Carrera Panamericana, but was to go on to race nationally at Oulton Park and proved to be 100% reliable on the Monte Carlo Retro.