A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Offered without reserve
Buyers Premium 7% + local taxes,VAT and customs arrangements if applicable
When Rolls-Royce launched the Corniche in 1971, the international jet set began to clamour for attention at the dealerships. With waiting lists measured in years, these fashionable vehicles changed hands at vast premiums over list price and one can imagine the hushed negotiations over the green baize of the gaming tables of Mayfair. The Corniche saw Rolls-Royce, for the first time, dispense with the need for a chauffeur and was the first model to offer the new generation of owner-drivers, a rev counter. The Coupe by Mulliner Park Ward wafted to 60mph in 9.8 seconds, powered by the whisper-quiet 6.75-litre V8 engine and it is widely regarded that the success of the Corniche, at a difficult time financially, saved Rolls-Royce for future generations.
Six years into its life-cycle, the Corniche received a mild makeover in the spring of 1977 including new rack-and-pinion steering, alloy and rubber bumpers, an aluminium radiator, oil cooler and bi-level air conditioning. Later that year, an upgraded engine (L410I) was fitted utilising Bosch KE/K-Jetronic fuel injection which increased output to 237bhp at 4,000rpm extending the top speed to 118mph.
Built in 1978, this particular Corniche Coupe was optioned in left-hand drive, finished in Seychelles Blue with a black Everflex roof and a navy blue interior, it was delivered new to the KSA. Since new, it has remained and is still registered in the KSA. We understand that the car has been fully restored and is currently indicating 7,000km.