A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Buyers Premium 12.5% + VAT
Launched at the London Motor Show in 1958, the Aston Martin DB4 emphatically demonstrated that a British manufacturer could better the Italians at their own game when it came to constructing the ultimate Gran Turismo. Classically proportioned and instantly recognisable from the moment of its introduction, the Touring-styled DB4 established a look that would survive, with only minor revisions, until 1970. "Following in the classic tradition of close-coupled sports saloons, the 3.7-litre DB4 Aston Martin carries orthodox modernity to its highest pitch. A luxurious two-seat saloon which can carry four adults when necessary, it recorded almost 140mph as a two-way mean speed over the measured mile. Yet we were able to record acceleration figures from 10mph in the same gear ratio."' reported The Motor magazine.
That the DB4 was able to manifest this rare combination of unrestrained high performance and civilised docility was down to its magnificent engine. A new design by Tadek Marek, the DB4's all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft six featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm for a displacement of 3,670cc, and developed its maximum output of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit. An immensely strong platform-type chassis replaced the DB2/4's multi-tubular spaceframe, the latter being considered incompatible with Touring's Superleggera body construction which employed its own lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels. The DB2/4's trailing-link IFS gave way to unequal-length wishbones, while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by trailing links and a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod.
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, the DB4 developed through no fewer than five series, however, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. The first series had already undergone a number of improvements, including the fitting of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 cars, before the second series arrived in January 1960.
According to its accompanying copy 'Aston Martin Ltd (AML) Build Sheet and Service Records', this particular Series II example - chassis number DB4/415/R - was supplied new via Raymond Mays to Rowland Hunt Esq. of Aswardby Hall, Spilsby on November 11th 1960. Acquired by watchmaker Bentima Co Ltd of 168 Old St, EC1 the following April, a copy continuation logbook on file shows that ownership later transferred to James Mario Elliot of Carlisle Place, SW1, and subsequently Brenda Diane Making, Anthony Elliott and C. Benge (interestingly, the latter three all quoted 28 Carlingford Road, Morden, Surrey as their address). The same document also reveals that the DB4 was upgraded with a later series powerplant during the 1960s (engine number 370/894 supplanting 370/487). Early DB4 engines were prone to failure hence the reason that Aston Martin added an oil cooler to its specification as the model evolved. Part of a private European collection from the late 1980s through until 2014 when it was sold by the Landmark Car Co Ltd.
Chassis DB4/415/R was then treated to a 'top-end' engine overhaul including replacement big valve cylinder head by Motronic Automotive Services of Iver at a cost of some £9,411.47. The car was subsequently despatched to marque specialist, Chicane Classics, for over £30,000 worth of attention to its steering, brakes, front/rear suspension, exhaust and tyres etc. When all things mechanical had been returned to top form, the Aston was superbly repainted in a lovely shade of California Sage Metallic.
The result of all this impressive work was evident a few years ago when the car was offered to auction and hammered at a, not insignificant, £433,000. DB4/415/R has since resided with our vendor, who is well known to Silverstone Auctions, for the past four years, used lightly and completely cossetted.
Neatly trimmed in Black leather, as per its build specification, and reunited with its original registration number 'SCT 415', this rare Series II is offered for sale with UK V5C Registration Document, copy build record, copy continuation logbook and numerous restoration bills and invoices. Your earliest inspection of this lovely Aston is encouraged and welcomed.
No platforms are available for online bidding on this lot