A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £164,250
The DB 2/4 Mk III (normally known as the Mk III, even at the time of its introduction) was a sports car hand-built and sold by Aston Martin from 1957 through to 1959. It was an evolution of the DB2/4 Mk II and retained the earlier car's W.O. Bentley-designed, Lagonda 2.9-litre, straight-6 engine, redesigned by Tadek Marek. Changes included a grille similar to the company's racing DB3s, a new instrument panel, and for the first time ever on an Aston, disc brakes. The hydraulically operated clutch was new as well, and an optional Laycock-de Normanville overdrive, attached to the 4-speed gearbox became standard after the first 100 cars. Worm-and-sector steering and a live axle rear end were also carried forward from previous models. The standard DBA engine model with twin SU carburettors produced 162hp, though an optional dual-exhaust system (a claimed 16 bhp increase) raised this to a reputed 178hp. Thus equipped, the car could reach 60 mph in 9.3 seconds and hit 120 mph.
Supplied by Fred Wilmot Sports Cars (Pty) Ltd. of Johannesburg in February 1958 to local resident, Mr R H Jacobs, our lovely Feltham-built DB Mk.III Aston Martin is today offered from near twenty-year ownership, under whose tenure this car has been the subject of a thorough and Concours-winning restoration costing many thousands of pounds.
First brought to UK shores in the late 1990's, it became the property of our vendor in 2000. He had been searching for an Aston restoration project for a while and, as a matching numbers, Mk III from a dry climate, this seemed a worthy candidate. Despite having only covered a modest 18,000 miles in his ownership, the Aston has been lavished with a remarkable amount of attention and benefits from an extensive programme of restoration work including a full bare metal respray of the Tickford-built body to Pacific Blue; engine and gearbox rebuilds, rear axle rebuild, new brakes, hubs, wheels and tyres, a partial retrim, and numerous other works with a total spend in excess of £85,000.
This sentence alone doesn’t do justice to the extent to which the restoration has been completed by professional outfits such as Trevor Farrington of Cheshire, Tim Stamper of Penrith, and Headshop in Warrington for engine work. We have a digital document summarising the full restoration and listing who, what, where and the associated costs and, naturally, this is available to be shared with interested parties.
What’s important is that the resulting restoration is really exceptional, prompting a journalist from Classic Cars magazine to recently comment “the body is beautiful, with perfectly matched blue paint all round and straight flanks with tight panel shutlines”. Further, “On the road the DB Mk.III is discretion personified, only raising eyebrows with its induction snort under heavy throttle. The whole package is wonderfully tight and drives majestically”.
The full review from this magazine feature, plus, a generous file containing lots of invoices relating to the restoration, a photographic record, original build sheets, and evidence of this car’s post-restoration Concours success in 2014 and 2015 is all available to prospective purchasers to view at the auction. A modest spares package is included in the sale of this car too, including a new front hub (c£450 cost), fan belt, rotor arms, points and condenser.
The DB2/4, and more pertinently the prettiest variant, the Mk.III, has for too long remained in the shadows of the DB4s and 5s, despite arguably offering a sportier drive and being easier to live with. Our advice, take advantage of this disparity before the gap closes and values rise…
1st in Class for Feltham built DB’s at the Ragley Hall Spring Concours, 2014.
2nd in Class for “Elite”, Sudeley Castle Autumn Concours, 2014.
1st in Class for Feltham built DB’s at Woburn Abbey Spring Concours, 2015.
3rd in Class for Feltham DB’s at Alnwick Castle Autumn Concours, 2015.